I was super excited to start packing my hospital bag. It meant that it was…
When I first learned that I was pregnant, I had this notion that when the time comes to pack my hospital bag it would be no different than packing for going to a long weekend getaway. Little did I know that I would need a more like 3 bags.
If you’ve ever wondered what to pack in hospital bag for mom and dad (or our birth partner), I’ve outlined the items that helped me and put them all in a printable checklist.
To complete packing your hospital bag, also read this post about to download the printable checklist of what to pack in your hospital bag for your baby. It was easier for me to separate the two lists and I think you’ll also find them helpful.
Here is what to pack in the hospital bag for mom and dad
Paperwork and Other Things
- Insurance info, hospital forms, ID
- Birth plan – (if you have one)
- Camera – (While were tempted to bring our DLSR, we though it would be too much to bring and settled for using our phones)
- List of people and their phone numbers to contact after the delivery
- Chargers for cameras and cell phones
- Spare Change – (Can be useful if you want a quick snack from a vending machine, or to be used for parking)
- notepad and pen
- plastic bags for soiled clothing
For Mom – During Labour
- a timer to track contractions
- Reading materials, gaming devices, cards, something to pass the time
- A night gown you don’t mind getting soiled – (In case you don’t want to wear the standard issued hospital gowns)
- Pain relief strategies (massager, hot/cold compresses/stress balls to squeeze/etc)
For Mom – Clothes
- 2-3 pairs of socks
- Bath robe
- 2 maternity bras
- nursing pads
- 1-2 night gowns
- Slippers / Crocks
- Maternity underwear
- Sanitary pads – (I suggest overnights with wings)
- Comfortable going-home outfit in six-month maternity size
Mom Personal Toiletries
- lip balm
- Make up bag
- Tooth brush
- Facial cleanser
- Face Moisturizing cream
- Body Moisturizing cream
- Hair ties and hair clips
- Hair dryer
- Hair brush
- Face towel – (Having your own is always nice)
- Prenatal vitamins
- Whitch hazel
- Nipple cream
- Extra Pillow – (If you need it to support your back or your belly)
- Breast pump
- Belly band – (check with your doctor first if he recommends wearing a belly wrap)
- See what I packed for Baby for the hospital trip here.
- Change of clothes (underwear, socks, T-shirt)
- Hair gel and comb
- Bathing suit – (You might want to shower to ease labour pains. It helps if Dad to be can be in the shower to help hold you up.)
- Crocks – (Who wants to walk bare feet on public shows, nooooot me)
- Pillow – (I suggest leaving these in the car and bring them up once you settled in your room)
- Blanket – (I suggest leaving these in the car and bring them up once you settled in your room)
You can download the free printable and editable Mom and Dad’s Hospital Bag Checklist here.
Enter your Name and Email to Download the free PDF checklists
Mom & Dad Hospital Bag Must Haves Checklist
Once baby arrives, you might also want to see want to download my diaper bag printable checklist. It’s a neat little printable that I had tucked in my diaper bag so that I don’t forget what I need.
If you haven’t already set up your registry or started shopping for your baby’s essentials, you can use the Baby Essential Printable I prepared here. I used this same checklist when I was creating my baby shower registry. Once my shower passed, it was very easy to see what I had left over to purchase and I went ahead and bought the items that were left over.