I was super excited to start packing my hospital bag. It meant that it was…
Have you wondered “what to pack in a diaper bag?”. I did. When I was packing my diaper bag with my son’s essentials to take to the hospital, I also began to think about what would go in there on a day to day basis.
I had the biggest anxiety that I would be out an about with my baby and they decided to poop all the way up their back in the car seat and I would be grossly unprepared.
As a first time mom, I knew myself well enough that I wouldn’t remember everything. It was not “first nature” to me yet. It wasn’t even second nature!
Since I already had my baby essentials list made, why not create a printable diaper bag checklist too!
What is a diaper bag?
In case it needs to be said, a diaper bag is not a bag that holds your baby’s soiled diapers.
It’s a bag that holds all the items you need to have on hand to care for your baby when you are at the hospital or going out with your newborn. Really you’ll need a variation of a diaper bag well in your baby’s toddler years.
Don’t believe me? Are you willing to bet that your future toddler will NOT be fascinated by that muddy puddle and will absolutely NOT jump in it screaming of joy that she’s like Peppa Pig … I lost that bet!
Emergency Contact List for Your Diaper Bag
On another note, I am paranoid that I will forget my diaper bag in a public washroom … in a store … on my seat in the food court … or what if it fell out of the stroller. Aye! I can go on! But in case I did lose it, I added on one side of the diaper bag checklist an emergency contact information section so that it can safely be returned to me.
If you are anything like me, I have not remembered anyone’s phone number since the 1990s thanks to being spoiled by saved my contacts in my cell phone. As an added bonus, if my phone runs out of battery (you know how they fast they drain these days), I could easily get the phone number of let’s say, my husband … yes, yes, I admit it … in all the time we have been together I never remember his phone number. I added my contact information, daddy’s info, the grandparents, and the pediatrician are in this section.
I printed the checklist on thick cardstock paper to minimize any chances of tearing. I have a Ju Ju Be Be Prepared diaper bag and it comes with a see-through pocket. It was meant to add pictures, but I found it was a perfect spot for me to fold my checklist so that the title “Emergency Contact Info” is visible in the window.
Here’s What to Pack in a Diaper Bag
Diaper Bag Restock Checklist (Check these items every time you go out)
- Diapers – One for each hour you’ll be out, plus a few extra.
- Wipes (I find the travel size wipes get used up in 2 to 3 outings. So I use the regular size as its more economical)
- Plastic bags – For storing soiled diapers, clothes, etc (I used the freezer size zip lock bags. However most recently I got the Munchkin Arm and Hammer Diaper Bag Dispenser and I love it!)
- Bottle(s) of formula or expressed breast milk
- Blanket(s) – (I carry 2 swaddle blankets that I use as a spit up blanket, to cover my baby, as a changing pad, nursing cover, bib, shade, or burp cloth)
- Spare outfit
- Changing pad – fully stocked! (I love the Skip Hop Pronto Change Station – its just awesome!)
Restock based on Baby/Season/Outing
- Nursing pads
- A toy, Teether or other comfort items
- Pacifier – I take 2 in case my little one drop one on the floor and I can’t easily disinfect it)
- Snacks and water for mommy and baby
- Baby Food and eating utensils
- Spare Change
Things you can leave in the Bag
- Emergency contact information Sheet
- Baby grooming essentials and First aid kit
- Baby acetaminophen or ibuprofen
- Antibiotic ointment
- Sterile bandages
- Calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream
- Hand sanitizer
- Tissue paper
- Nipple cream
- Diaper rash cream – (I keep this in my Skip Hop Pronto Changing Station)
- Bug repellant and sunscreen
You can download the free printable and editable Diaper Bag Checklist here.
Enter your Name and Email to Download the free PDF checklist
Diaper Bag Checklist
I shared a printable on what to pack in my hospital bag for baby here and what to pack in my hospital bag for mom and dad here. Hop over and see if you find them useful.
Since you’re reading this post, I’m going to assume that you already have most of your baby essentials ready to go, but just in case you need it, have a look at this printable baby newborn essentials checklist I put together.